2023 IMA Annual Conference: Influencing Museums – call for papersJune 12, 2023
Do you have an idea for an engaging, thought-provoking, and inspiring conference session that sparks meaningful dialogue?
The 2023 IMA Annual Conference, Influencing Museums, will focus on the vital role museums play in shaping public conversation and driving positive change in our society. It will explore how we can effectively speak truth to power, navigate external pressures, and lead with integrity in a rapidly changing world.
Key topics to be explored include:
- Navigating External Pressures: How can museums maintain their commitment to truth and integrity in the face of external influences and political agendas?
- Embracing Activism: What strategies can museums employ to become agents of change while upholding their values of inclusivity, sustainability, and diversity?
- Amplifying Marginalised Voices: How can museums provide space and amplify the voices of communities historically marginalised or silenced by those in power?
- Acknowledging and Addressing Historical Complicity: How can museums confront their own role in perpetuating global systems of exploitation and disenfranchisement, and work towards rectifying historical imbalances?
- Leading in Uncertain Times: What innovative approaches can we adopt to address the new and complex challenges we face today?
We invite proposals for sessions that delve into these topics and other relevant areas. We encourage presentations that showcase practical examples, case studies, research, and innovative ideas from both the museum and related sectors.
Together, let’s explore how we can influence, lead, and shape a more equitable and sustainable future.
Conference Date: Friday, 8 September – Saturday, 9 September, 2023
Location: Ulster University Magee Campus, Derry~Londonderry
- Proposals should include a session title, an abstract (maximum 300 words), a brief bio of the presenter(s), and contact details.
- Proposals may be for 20-minute individual presentations or 50-minute sessions.
- Please indicate clearly the proposed format: individual talk, panel, interview, interjections, workshop, provocations, interactive session, etc.
- Submit proposals to email@example.com, with subject line: 2023 IMA Conference Proposal.
- All proposals need to be submitted by noon, 21 June 2023
Presentations will be selected by an advisory panel.
Contact email: office@irishmuseums