Flame gasworks is Ireland's sole surviving coal gasworks and is one of only three left in the British Isles. Opened in 1855, it supplied Carrickfergus with gas until 1965 and was closed in 1987. It is now fully restored and was reopened as a visitor and educational attraction in August 2002.
This museum gives visitors the opportunity to see Europe's largest surviving set of horizontal retorts, find out how gas was used through the decades and ascend the working gasholder for panoramic views of the .
May - August: Daily (except Saturday) 2pm - 5pm, September: Mon - Fri 2pm - 5pm. To arrange visits at other times & for groups, please book in advance by telephone or email.
- Baby Changing
- Coach Parking/Set Down
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled Toilets
- Meeting Room
- Schools Room