HLF's funding programme Skills for the Future (SfTF) funds work-based training in a wide range of skills that are needed to look after buildings, landscapes, habitats, species, and museum and archive collections, as well as equipping people to lead education and outreach programmes, manage volunteers and utilise digital technologies.
Since 2010, a partnership between NIMC and NMNI secured funding from SfTF to deliver three different work-based training schemes:
- The Collections Skills Initiative 2011
- The Collections Skills Initiative 2012/13 and
- The Community Engagement Initiative
The aims of these Initiatives were:
- To provide valuable training and practical work experience in musuems
- To promote skills-sharing and sustainability through on-the-job training
- To assist museums in developing coaching skills, work experience placements and projects for those on work experience to complete
- To enhance pathways into working in the museum sector
Between January 2011 and December 2015, 34 trainees completed placements across museums in Northern Ireland. Equipped with their new skills and knowledge, and propelled by their own commitment and application, these individuals have been able to pursue and secure employment opportunities across the UK and Europe.